- 1 cup pecan pieces
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tbsp. safflower oil
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 3 lbs sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup organic orange juice
- 1-1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 tbsp. honey
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all topping ingredients together using a wooden spoon. It will be clumpy and sticky.
- Spread out mixture the best you can on a parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350°F for approximately 10-15 minutes. The mixture should have a nice golden color to it.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Transfer small portions to a large cutting board and chop roughly. Set aside.
- Wash the sweet potatoes and rub with oil. Place on a parchment lined cookie sheet and bake until easily pierced with a fork (about 30-40 minutes).
- Remove from oven and allow to cool until you can handle them without burning yourself.
- Peel the potatoes and place the inside in a large mixing bowl.
- Add all other filling ingredients and mash with a potato masher or blend with a hand blender.
- Transfer the potato mixture to a serving bowl. Sprinkle the pecan topping evenly over the potatoes.
Note: you will most likely have some topping left over depending on the size of the dish you use. The leftovers are great for topping oatmeal or mixing in with granola.