I hope when you decide to make this Apple Cider recipe, you are prepared for your house to smell like the most intoxicating aroma of warm cinnamon and spicy apple!
- 12 medium apples, assorted types
- 2 oranges
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 1 whole nutmeg
- 1 tbsp whole cloves
- 1 tsp whole allspice (optional)
- 1 gallon (16 cups) water, more or less
- 1/2 – 1 cup coconut sugar
- Wash apples and the orange, and then roughly cut into quarters. Place in a large stock pot.
- Add cinnamon sticks, nutmeg, cloves and allspice. Cover with water, filling the pot until it is nearly full.
- Bring to a simmer over high heat, stirring occasionally. Then reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- Once the apples have softened after an hour or two, use a potato masher to mash the apple and orange slices once they are soft. Cook for one more hour.
- Strain out the apple cider into a clean pitcher or pot. Stir in your desired amount of coconut sugar until it is dissolved.
- Serve hot.